Friday, March 4, 2011

Retard - it is NOT just another word.


I came across an amazing blog this morning, this mom is....well.....amazing!
Retard, retarded, any form of the word really makes me sick. I know people say it is just "part of the culture" or whatever LAMO excuse they have but it is NOT ok. Just because you don't "mean to offend" doesn't mean that you don't. In all actuality you MOST DEFINITELY DO offend. You offend mommies like me who are raising AMAZING special needs kiddos. You offend kids, teens, and adults who are disabled.
I want to encourage all of you who follow my blog to check out THIS POST over at "Love That Max." It is an eye opener for sure. I am not sure I could put myself through the hurt and frustration that this mom is via her tweets but I give her credit - she is out there fighting her fight for her son - for all of our special kiddos.
I guess all I am saying is think before you speak. For me, for Brooklyn and Boston, for everyone out there each amazing in their own way. Sticks and stones can break my bones but words - yeah they hurt too!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for pointing out this fight! I've been fighting against the r-word on my blog for a number of years now & I love to see other parents and civilians taking up the fight as well.
    BTW - congrats on Boston crawling!! That's so huge and exciting!

    ReplyDelete